Latest news on fighting in eastern Ukraine as of May 22, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) Donbass war summary as of May 22, 2016 highlights critical intensification of Russian fighting in eastern Ukraine all across the frontline: Russian forces opened fire 30 times upon Ukrainian troops positions over the last 24 hours;
(2) Luhansk direction: Russian militants fulfilled unsighted shelling with small arms, easel and grenade launchers upon Ukrainian positions in the area of the village of Tryokhizbenka as well as opened fire upon Ukrainain troops near Stariy Aydar; the enemy opened fire with grenade launchers and anti-aircraft gun near Novozvanivka in Popasnyansky district; the most active Russian shelling took place in Stanytsya Luhanska, where heavy machine guns and grenade launchers have been used during an hours against Ukrainian troops positions and resulted checkpoint and railway bridge destruction;
(3) Donetsk direction: the hottest spot remains in Avdiivka industrial zone, where Russian forces brutally violated Minsk agreements by the release of 70 artillery shells of 122-mm caliber upon Ukrainian troops positions; the enemy fired from grenade launchers, heavy machine guns and small arms not just upon Ukrainian troops in Avdiivka, but at residential area, in result – 1 residential house demolishes, 1 more caused heavy demage, 1 elderly woman was injured; to this end, Russian forces right after shelling at Avdiivka, opened fire towards Donetsk to blame Ukrainian forces in ceasefire regime violations; tense atmosphere reported on the north of Horlivka, small arms and sniper fire were used by the enemy in Zaytseve; to this end, Russian forces fired 2 times with heavy machine guns and small arms near the village of Luhanske on Svitlodarska line;
(4) Mariupol direction: the enemy dramatically increased number of shelling in the area of Shyrokino, where Russian forces opened fire with small arms, grenade launchers, heavy machine guns and 120-mm mortars, forbidden by the Minsk agreements; Russian armed provocation took place near Starognativka with use of 82-mm, 120-mm mortars and russian armored vehicles; to this end, Russian sniper fire took place near Krasnogorivka;
(5) 1 Ukrainian serviceman was killed in action and 1 serviceman was wounded in action in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last 24 hours.