Russia – Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of August 22, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) Russia’s hybrid forces opened fire 46 times upon Ukrainian troop positions in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last day, including 10 times on Luhansk direction, 21 times on Donetsk direction and 15 times on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: the hottest spot reported in Popasna, where Russian forces actively used grenade launchers; the enemy fired with 82-mm mortars, grenade launchers of various systems and heavy machine guns upon Ukrainian positions in Novooleksandrivka and Troytske; Russian occupiers launched an artillery attack and released 8 shells near Toshkivka;
(3) Donetsk direction: powerful Russian attacks reported all across the frontline; Russian forces intensify shelling and released about 160 mortar mines upon Ukrainian troops on this direction; the hottest spot reported in Avdiivka industrial area, where the enemy used mortars and cannon artillery; Russian mortar firing reported also at Svitlodarska line and at the area of Horlivka – Yasynuvata;
(4) Mariupol direction: the hottest spot on this direction reported in Novotroytske, where the enemy released 60 mines and artillery shells upon Ukrainian troops positions in 35 minutes; the enemy also fired with mortar launchers upon Krasnogorivka and Shyrokino; Ukrainian village of Solodke also came under Russian heavy fire, which resulted damages to residential house and industrial buildings;
(5) 2 Russian UAVs were spotted over the sky in the war zone in eastern Ukraine (1 on Donetsk and 1 on Mariupol direction);
(6) Russia continues to supply its armed forces in the war zone in eastern Ukraine, in particular: 50 Russian servicemen among Russian regular armed forces arrived to Rovenky; wagons of ammunition arrived in Mospynne;
(7) Russian hybrid forces losses in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last day are as follows: 7 killed and 5 wounded;
(8) No lethal casualties reported among Ukrainian servicemen, but 6 servicemen were wounded in action in the war zone in southeast Ukraine over the last 24 hours.