Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of July 28, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) The situation in the war zone in southeast Ukraine is tense. Russian armed forces and their proxies opened fire 44 times upon Ukrainian troops positions over the last day, in particular: 18 times on Luhansk direction, 16 times on Donetsk direction and 10 times on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: Russian occupiers dramatically intensified their activities all across the frontline; hottest spot with massive Russian firing reported in Popasna; the enemy launched attacks with forbidden 82-mm mortars against Ukrainian forces near Novozvanivka, Novooleksandrivka, Bogislavskym, Krymskym and the village of Velyka Kosharna; the enemy also used grenade launchers in Popasna and Lopaskyne; Russian forces used mortar fire against Ukrainian troops in Slovyanoserbsk; to this end, the enemy opened fire 6 times from heavy weaponry;
(3) Donetsk direction: Russian forces used forbidden by the Minsk agreements 120-mm and 82-mm mortars, grenade launchers, high caliber machine guns and small arms during attacks at Ukrainian troops in an Avdiivka industrial area, which remains the hottest post on this direction; besides mention, Russian subversives provoked 1-hour-duration firefight with Ukrainian forces there; the enemy used grenade launchers near Zaytseve and Novoselivka Druha; to this end, Russian forces opened fire from grenade launchers, high caliber machine guns and sniper rifles in Luhanske;
(4) Mariupol direction: Russian forces shelled Ukrainian positions in Starognativka with 82-mm mortars; the enemy used grenade launchers and high caliber machine guns in Vodeyane, tank near Maryinka and small arms in Shyrokino;
(5) Russia continues supply of its regular armed forces and proxies in the war zone in southeast Ukraine with weaponry and ammunition; the column of Russian heavy military equipment (in particular, BM-21 Grads, armored vehicles and military trucks) was spotted while crossing the settlement of Dmytrivka (right at the Russian – Ukrainian border) toward the occupied city of Donetsk; 5 tankers of fuel and lubricants arrived to Rovenky railway hub; rail echelon with tank T-64, 3 BM-21 Grads and 2 wagons with shells to 122-mm and 155-mm artillery arrived to Sverdlovsk, Luhansk Oblast;
(6) Russian armed forces losses in the war zone in southeast Ukraine during the last day are as follows: 2 killed and 4 wounded;
(7) 1 Ukrainian serviceman was killed in action and 1 serviceman was wounded in action in the war zone in southeast Ukraine over the last 24 hours.