Ukraine war updates on May 16, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) The situation in the war zone in eastern Ukraine remains tense: Russian armed forces and their militants drastically increased number of attacks to 36 in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last day; in particular, they opened fire upon Ukrainian troops all across the front line, inclusing 1 time on Luhansk direction, 18 times on Donetsk direction, and 18 times on Mariupol direction; the enemy released in total 80 mines at Ukrainain troops positions during the day;
(2) Luhansk direction: the enemy violated ceasefire regime by opening fire against Ukrainain servicemen near Schastya with the use of automatic grenade launchers and heavy machine guns;
(3) Donetsk direction: Russian forces intensified their activities in Donetsk and its suburb and fulfilled a series of attacks on Ukrainain positions at Avdiivka and Krasnogorivka with the use of small arms, grenade launchers, 82-mm and 120-mm mortars; the enemy opened fire from grenade launchers of different calibers and small arms in Maryinka; Russian subversive group under the guise of grenade launchers, anti-aircraft units and 82-mm mortars tried to break through Ukrainian forces positions in Opytne (near Donetsk airport), engaged a combat, but Ukrainian servicemen succeed in repelling this enemy’s attack; Russian forces fulfilled a series of shelleing from automatic of easel grenade launchers and forbidden 82-mm mortars upon Ukrainain positions across Horlivsko-Svitlodarska line near Zaytseve; to this end, the enemy opened fire upon Ukrainian position near Luhansk with the use of small arms ans grenades; to this end, 7 mortars shelling fulfilled by the enemy on this direction;
(4) Mariupol direction: Russian forces continue armed provocations against Ukrainain troops positions all across the frontline, but especially in the area of Shyrokino using grenade launchers of different systems, heavy machine guns and small arms; to this end, 3 shellings with forbidden mortars fire fulfilled by Russian forces there;
(5) 1 Ukrainian serviceman was killed in action and 1 more wounded in action in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last 24 hours.