Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of May 28, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) Russian armed forces and their proxies continue Minsk agreement violations in the war zone in southeast Ukraine; they opened fire in total 40 times over the last day, including 2 times on Luhansk direction, 14 times on Donetsk direction and 23 times on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: Russian occupiers opened fire from machine guns, grenade launchers and APCs in Stanytsya Luhanska and automatic grenade launchers in Popasna;
(3) Donetsk direction: situation remains tense, powerful Russian shellings reported in Avdiivka, Zaytseve and Luhanske; in particular, the enemy used forbidden 82-mm and 120-mm mortar fire during attacks at Avdiivka and 82-mm mortars fire near Zaytseve; the enemy actively used mortar fire and released around 80 mines upon Ukrainian troops positions; the enemy opened fire from small arms and heavy grenade launchers upon Ukrainian positions in Maryinka and Krasnogorivka; to this end, Russian forces 4 times used heavy and forbidden arms against Ukrainian servicemen;
(4) Mariupol direction: the situation sharply worsened as Russian forces 9 times opened fire upon Ukrainian positions from the heavy arms; in particular, the enemy used MLRS BM-21 Grad, 152-mm Russian artillery fire while shelling at Ukrainian forces in Dokuchaevsk; 1 combat reported between Russian and Ukrainian forces on this direction, but Ukrainian servicemen forces the enemy to step back; the enemy used forbidden 82-mm and 120-mm mortar fire against Ukrainian troops near Novotroytske; the enemy used 120-mm mortars and 152-mm Russian artillery while shelling upon Ukrainian fortifications in the village of Mykolayivka; to this end, Ukrainian forces where shelled by the enemy from small arms and grenade launchers near Vodyane and Shyrokino;
(5) 1 Ukrainian serviceman killed in action (during combat in Mariupol direction), no wounded in action among Ukrainian servicemen in southeast Ukraine over the last 24 hours.