Ukraine war updates on May 9, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) The situation intensified in the war zone in eastern Ukraine: Russian armed forces and their proxies opened fire in total 9 times over the last day upon Ukrainian forces positions, including 1 time on Luhansk direction, 2 times on Donetsk direction, and 6 times on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: the enemy opened fire from small arms and heavy machine guns in Stanytsya Luhanska;
(3) Donetsk direction: Avdiivka remains the hottest spot on this direction, the enemy fired at Ukrainian troops there with the use of grenades of different systems, heavy machine guns and small arms; Russian armed forces also opened fire upon Ukrainian troops positions near Luhanske;
(4) Mariupol direction: the most active Russian firing reported on this direction; in particular, a series of provocation fulfilled in Taramchuk and Shyrokino; Russian snipers opened fire at Maryinka;
(5) Ukrainian Security Service warned diversions attempt in Mariupol: a stash of weapons has been discovered by SBU staff there9 grenade launchers, 16 grenades RGD-5 and F-1, 80 kg of gunpowder, 600 grams of trotyl, 2 electrodetonators and almost 2500 rounds of ammunition of different calibers;
(6) 2 Ukrainian servicemen were killed in action and 4 servicemen were wounded in action in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last 24 hours.