Russia – Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of August 21, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) Russia’s hybrid forces launched 71 attacks at Ukrainian troop positions in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last day, including 7 on Luhansk direction, 26 on Donetsk direction and 38 on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: Russian occupiers conducted a series of armed provocation with grenade launchers and small arms against Ukrainian troops near Zolote and Krymske; Russian sniper fire took place near Novooleksandrivka; the enemy released 12 mines from 82-mm mortars at Novozvanivka;
(3) Donetsk direction: Russian forces released 179 mortar mines and 63 artillery shells upon Ukrainian troops on this direction over the day; 2/3 of the enemy’s attacks took place near Donetsk airport, Avdiivka, Pisky, Opytne and Butovka mine; most of attacks were launched from heavy 82-mm and 120-mm mortar launchers, while 152-mm artillery were used near Avdiivka; Russian occupiers used 122-mm artillery against Ukrainian troops in Krasnogorivka; the enemy released 5 mortar mines at Zaytseve; Russian forces also used grenade launchers and small arms fire near Leninske and Verkhnyotoretske; situation at Svitlodarska line remains tense, the enemy fired at Ukrainian troops with mortars, heavy machine guns and grenade launchers there; to this end, 17 times the enemy opened fire from heavy forbidden weapons on this direction;
(4) Mariupol direction: Russian attacks reported all across the frontline; the hottest spot reported in Maryinka, where the enemy used small arms, grenade launchers, mortars and armored vehicles; Russian mortars fire reported all over the sector; in particular, the enemy released 124 mines of 82-mm and 120-mm calibers at Novogrygorivka, Shyrokino, Vodyane, Starognativka, Talakivka and Krasnogorivka; Russian occupiers also used small arms, machine guns and grenade launchers on over the sector; Russian armed provocation reported also in Taramchuk, Hnutove and Novotroytske;
(5) Russia continues to supply its armed forces in the war zone in eastern Ukraine with weaponry, in particular: 5 wagons of ammunition arrived in Mospynne;
(6) Russian hybrid forces losses in the war zone in eastern Ukraine over the last day are as follows: 3 killed and 4 wounded;
(7) No lethal casualties reported among Ukrainian servicemen, but 2 servicemen were wounded in action in the war zone in southeast Ukraine over the last 24 hours.