Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of June 23, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) The situation in the war zone in southeast Ukraine continues to deteriorate. Russian armed forces actively uses heavy weapons in all directions (82-mm and 120-mm mortars as well as 122-mm and 152-mm artillery), they released 300 mortar mines and 160 artillery shells and fulfilled 46 attacks upon Ukrainian troops positions, in particular: 8 times on Luhansk direction, 22 times on Donetsk direction and 16 times on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: combats took place in Popasna district only; a series of Russian mortar and artillery firing reported all across the front line; Novozvanivka Novooleksansrivka; to this end, 6 shelling fulfilled with a use of heavy weapons;
(3) Donetsk direction: the situation was as extremely tense; Russian armed forces attacks from all types of weapons reported all across the front line from Zaytseve to Donetsk airport; the enemy used forbidden artillery during shelling at Ukrainian troops positions; the hottest spots were at Horlivka suburb, Avdiivka industrial area and area of Pisky; Ukrainian positions near Pisky Avdiivka, Verkhnyotoretske, Troytske and Zaytseve came under Russian mortar fire, while our positions have been shelled from Russian artillery near Nevelsky, Kamyanka, Novoselivka Druha and Troyitske;
(4) Mariupol direction: Russian forces fulfilled heavy shelling all across the front line; the enemy used mortars during attacks at Taramchuk and Talakivka – Shyrokino front line; in particular, Russian armed forces used forbidden 82-mm mortar fire while firing at Vodyane and 120-mm mortars – in Talakivka, Taramchuk and Shyrokino; in addition, Russian snipers opened fire several times in Maryinka; to this end, 5 times the enemy used heavy weapons on this direction;
(5) Russia continues to supply its regular armed forces and proxies in the southeast Ukraine with heavy arms and menpower under guise of humanitarian aid, in particular: 53th Russian convoy with 2 Russian self-propelled guns, 6 APCs, 6 howitzers, and 10 military trucks arrived to Luhansk; 2 Russian tanks arrived to Debaltseve via railway;
(6) 7 Russian UAVs were spooted over the war zone in southeast Ukraine during the last 24 hours;
(7) 1 Ukrainian serviceman was killed in action and 11 servicemen were wounded in action in southeast Ukraine over the last day.