Ukraine war updates from the war zone in southeast Ukraine as of June 28, 2016 by ATO HQ operational data and Presidential Administration spokesman on ATO issues briefing: EMPR highlights.
(1) The situation in the war zone intensified. Russian armed forces fulfilled twice times more attacks than the day before. In particular, 71 Russian attacks upon Ukrainian troops positions reported over the last 24 hours: 6 on Luhansk direction, 19 on Donetsk direction and 46 on Mariupol direction;
(2) Luhansk direction: Russian forces opened fire upon Ukrainian troops positions in Popasna, Bakhmut root and the village of Sokilnyky;
(3) Donetsk direction: the situation remains tense; the hottest spot is in Avdiivka industrial area, where the enemy actively used mortars, grenade launchers and sniper fire; Russian forces activated activities near Donetsk airport and released 40 mines upon Ukrainian positions there; Russian armed provocation took place on the north suburb of Horlivka; Russian sniper fire reported in Novogorodske; 2-hours-long grenade launchers and small arms firing by Russian occupiers reported at Svitlodarska line;
(4) Mariupol direction: Russian armed forces activity significantly increased; half of Russian attacks fulfilled from heavy weapons such as mortar launchers and cannons; the hottest spot reported in Shyrokino, where the enemy released 50 mortar mines and 40 artillery shells upon Ukrainian positions; Russians used russian artillery and sniper fire against Ukrainian troops near Novotroytske in the afternoon, and late at night – grenade launchers of different system and machine guns; difficult situation observed in Maryinka, where the enemy used the entire arsenal of weapons, except of artillery and tanks; in addition, Russian occupiers shelled checkpoint, which is under Ukrainian troops control; Russian forces fulfilled 2 mortar firing at Krasnogorivka; another series of ceasefire regime violations by Russian armed forces took place across the Chermalyk – Lebedynske contact line;
(5) 3 Russian UAVs were spotted over the sky at the territory of southeast Ukraine;
(6) Russian armed forces and their proxies have the following losses in the southeast Ukraine: 9 killed and 8 wounded (mostly in the area of Shyrokino, Mariupol Oblast); in addition, 8 Russian occupiers were captured by Ukrainian troops in the area of Vodyane;
(7) 1 Ukrainian serviceman killed in action (as a result of Russian sniper fire in Avdiivka area) and 6 more servicemen were wounded in action in southeast Ukraine over the last day.